What does it take to install OEC Fiber services?
In most areas, one of the last stages of construction is connecting your home or business to our fiber network. This happens after you sign up for our services. This article explains what you can expect during this process. We will communicate this information to you once you sign up, so please be sure to regularly check the email address you used to sign up for OEC Fiber so we can send you important updates.
The locate and drop: how we get fiber from our network to your home or business
As our crews move along our planned route in your area, OEC Fiber certified installers bring fiber cables from our existing network to the side of each home or business signed up for our services. We will give you a call at the number listed on your account once we schedule this portion of the installation to let you know when our crews plan to begin work on your property.
When we arrive at your home or business, we will knock on your door or ring your doorbell to let you know we are working on your property. Even if you are not there, we will move forward with the locate and the drop.
- Our crews paint a white line along the proposed fiber cable path.
- Our crews call Okie (811) to request a locate
- Public utilities have 48 hours (excluding weekends and holidays) after the call to Okie to come out and locate their existing electric, phone, water, cable and gas lines by placing flags in the ground.
- After all public utilities are located by Okie within 48 hours of the locate request call, our crews will begin the drop within 10 business days.
- An OEC Fiber certified fiber technician will splice a fiber cable from our existing network to pull through your property and to the side of your home or business.
- We will bury this fiber cable by trenching the path along the white line placed during the locate.
- This fiber cable will connect to your home or business inside of a Network Interface Device (NID), which is typically installed on an exterior wall near your electric meter.
Things to keep in mind:
- Please mark any obstacles, such as sprinkler systems, buried fences, propane lines, electrical lines for shops or fountains, etc., that may be buried in your yard. This helps ensure no damage occurs during the locate and drop process. You can learn more about how to locate private lines on your property by visiting www.OECFiber.com/construction.
- If you plan to do major renovations on your property, such as adding a pool, please mark this area.
- Keep any backyard pets inside or otherwise secured while crews are working in your yard.
- Unlock any locked gates or fences to provide access to your property and electric meter.
The in-home or in-business install: how we get signal from our fiber to your devices
Once your locate and drop are complete and our crews are ready, we will call you to finalize your package selections and schedule your in-home or in-business installation. Our OEC Fiber certified installation specialists will bring everything they need to install services in your home or office. Someone 18 years old or older must be present for this portion of your installation.
Our installation specialist will call or text you when they're on their way.
Things to keep in mind:
- Your locate and drop might happen quite a while before your in-home or in-business install. We will contact you to schedule your installation appointment as soon as we are ready to complete your in-home or in-business install, so no need to worry.
- Our OEC Fiber certified installers will bring all of the equipment they need to finish your OEC Fiber installation, so you don't have to worry about purchasing anything prior to your installation appointment.
Enjoy blazing fast fiber speeds
If you have any questions about your new services, feel free to call us at (405) 217-6868. We're here to answer any questions you may have. You can also find more information about your services online at www.OECFiber.com.